Diamond Iron Plows Made Only by Lawrence & Chapin. Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Diamond Iron Plows Made Only by Lawrence & Chapin. Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Kalamazoo: Lawrence & Chapin, [c. 1875]. Printed by Kalamazoo Publishing Co., 20 & 22 South Burdick St.; H. Wilson & Co., [engravers], Chicago. Illustrated broadside printed in black, red, and blue, 12.75” x 20.625” (printed area), 14” x 21.375” (sheet size), text and illustrations within border in blue with white stars.

A very appealing advertising broadside issued by a Kalamazoo, Michigan iron manufacturer.

Wiliam S. Lawrence and Dr. L. C. Chapin established the Kalamazoo Iron Works in 1848 and built steam engines, diamond iron plows, mill machinery, cultivators, and other tools and machines. Pictured in the center of this handsome broadside is one of their plows, set within a diamond-shaped border. Text within and just outside the border touts the plow as “Harder, stronger more durable and cheaper than any other plow in America” and “made with both inclined and perpendicular landsides. Iron and Wood beams. Scours in any soil.” Identical views of the company’s Second Empire style foundry building appear on either side of the central illustration. This building was designed by architect Lemuel Dwight Grosvenor and was erected in 1872. Blanks at the bottom for the name of the sales agent have been filled in by one A. T. Raitt of New Philadelphia, Ohio.

REFERENCES: The Gazette Directory of Kalamazoo County (Kalamazoo, 1878), p. 77.

CONDITION: Very good, minor stains, creases, and chipping.

Item #7084

Price: $850.00

See all items in Broadsides & Ephemera