Item #8495 Residence of Peter Roth, Black’s [Station] [Yolo County, California].
Residence of Peter Roth, Black’s [Station] [Yolo County, California].

Sign up to receive email notices of recent acquisitions.

Residence of Peter Roth, Black’s [Station] [Yolo County, California].

Black’s Station, [Yolo County, California, ca. 1890.]. Bromide print, 6.15” x 8.25”, on larger paperboard mount. Captioned in ink on mount below image. CONDITION: Good, light fading to the image, a few black specs, small abrasions in upper and lower right areas, dampstains in the lower-left corner and in the margins.

A scarce image of a residence at Black’s Station in Yolo County, California, an important way station and depot for farmers, travelers, and others during the early years of development in the region.

Pictured here is a farmhouse with seven people standing on both the upstairs and downstairs porches (a man on the lower porch wearing a hat may be Peter Roth). A horse and buggy and a baby carriage appear in the road in front of the house and a windmill can be seen on the far right in the background. 

Located on the Northern Railway, the settlement of Black’s Station, also known simply as Black’s and later as Zamora, was originally the home of pioneer James J. Black, who settled there in 1865. When the railway reached Black’s farm during its extension from Woodward to Red Bluff he donated ten acres for the depot and grounds, resulting in the establishment of Black’s Station. After purchasing three lots from Black in 1875, C. H. Smart constructed a house and a blacksmith shop. He was followed by William Dorgan and Robert M. Huston, who both bought lots in 1876; the latter, with his brother Edward, opened the first store in 1876. Black’s Station Post Office was established in 1876, and Huston was appointed postmaster. In 1877, the plan for the town of Black’s Station (10.8 acres) was filed. A. C. Turner opened the first hotel in town, and later a grain warehouse was erected. Black’s Station, from its inception, was an important shipping depot for the large farms in the vicinity. The arrival of the Yolo County Consolidated Water Company in 1903 added much to the importance of the place and stimulated business. A new packing plant was finished that year, adding a fruit center to the Station. Black’s was also home to an Odd Fellows lodge. Black’s Station became Zamora in 1906.

Peter Roth, whose house is shown here, was originally from Tulare, California. Roth married Mary Flynn in 1878 and in 1890 he served as Vice President of the National Farmers’ Alliance and Industrial Union. In 1890, he was also the President of the Odd Fellows Hall at Black’s Station. Roth’s brother was the California Senator John Roth, who was a prominent figure in the Farmers’ Alliance movement.

REFERENCES: Gregory, Tom. History of Yolo County, California, with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the county… (Los Angeles: Historic Record Co., 1913) at The CAGenWeb Project online; Woodland Daily Democrat (Woodland California, 22 Oct. 1890); Pacific Rural Press, Vols. 39–40 (1890), p. 475.

Item #8495

Price: $375.00

See all items in Photographs