Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].
Clifton-Morenci [View Book].

Clifton-Morenci [View Book].

Clifton, Arizona: Arizona Copper Company. Drug Department,; Brooklyn, N. Y.: Albertype Co., [ca 1910]. Oblong 8vo (8” x 10”), printed tan wrappers, albertype 4” x 5” photograph cut in a semi-circle mounted on front cover. 18 4” x 6” albertype photos mounted on brown album paper, 1 fold-out 5” x 20” panoramic photo.

A scarce view book of copper-mining boomtowns Clifton and Morenci, with images of smelters, offices, railways, and hillside and roadside residences of the Shannon, Arizona, and Detroit copper companies; also public buildings such as the Morenci Club, Morenci Hotel, South Clifton High School, and Detroit Copper Mining Store.

Estimated dates of this view book are derived from the history of the public pictured. The Longfellow School, captioned as “Public School-Morenci,” was built in 1902 and converted to a two story red brick building in 1908, as it appears here. The three story Morenci Club with galleried porches was constructed ca. 1900, providing a bowling alley, billiard tables, baths in the basement, a library, and club rooms on the second floor. The Morenci Hotel was built in a Moorish style ca. 1901–03, adjacent to the company store of similar design, with a lobby, bank, post office, offices, parlors, dining rooms on the second floor, and rooms for 50 guests on the third floor. In addition to the single-page views included, this volume includes a folding panorama of the Arizona Copper Company’s smelter in Clifton.

Copper was discovered by gold and silver prospectors during the Civil War in this rugged area 116 miles from Tucson. Apaches resided here, and used the copper oxide minerals in their pottery. Conditions were dangerous with the Indian resistance and desperados traveling through the mining towns. Original miners included Robert and James Metcalf, Joe Yankie and Henry Clifton whose operations were later sold to Arizona Copper Co, a Scottish firm run by James Colquhoun. The population of the area was diverse. The work force initially consisted of temporary Mexican laborers, but many moved to the area in 1870’s when company towns were established. In 1877, Chinese laborers were brought to the district, preferred because they were less likely to leave and more willing to do the more hazardous underground work. In 1904, there was an epidemic of Typhoid in the region.

OCLC records just three copies.

REFERENCES: Briggs, David F. History of the Copper Mountain (Morenci) Mining District, Greenlee County, Arizona at repository.azgs.az.gov; Watt, Roberta. History of Morenci, Arizona [Thesis]. University of Arizona, 1956.

Item #6375

Price: $575.00

See all items in Rare Books